Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an appointment?

Yes, scheduled appointments allow us to dedicate our attention to each patient as required. Appointments can be scheduled by calling (541) 646-3505, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

We do provide same day appointments for urgent care needs when possible. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and we will make every attempt to accommodate your needs.

What if I need to speak with a doctor after hours?

For after hour needs please call (541) 646-3505. You will be directed to our after hours service who will assist you with your call and transfer you to a nurse or physician as needed. For life-threatening emergencies (severe difficulty breathing, chest pain, unconsciousness, seizures, or severe head injury) call 911 immediately.

What age range do your physicians treat?

Valley Family Practice provides comprehensive services for every stage of life, from infant care to seniors.

When is my child due for immunizations?

For details on Jackson and Josephine County school district immunization requirements please visit our immunization web page.

How can I get a lab test?

For your convenience we provide laboratory services Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Please call (541) 646-3505 to schedule an appointment.

How do I get my lab test results?

You will be notified within two to three days after we receive your results.

Will my insurance pay for the services?

Valley Family Practice works with most insurance carriers. We recommend patients contact their insurance company as each plan offers different levels of coverage. Please check the back of your insurance wallet card for contact telephone numbers.

How can I get a prescription refilled?

Please call your pharmacist for prescription refills and renewals. So you don’t run out, prescriptions and authorizations for renewals should be requested 2 to 5 days in advance.

How can I get copies of my medical records?

By law, patients requesting their medical records must submit a written request. Please visit our Policies web page for a downloadable request form.